Labels

Sunday, April 15, 2012

More hopeful sewing..


We’ve had rain and stormy weather here lately, so I’m continuing my hopeful sewing series by sharing this little butterfly dress.  I made it a couple of weeks ago, so the baby girl could wear it to the butterfly exhibit.  (I actually got this butterfly fabric last year in hopes of making a dress for last year’s butterfly exhibit.  Hey, I’m only a year behind!)


This was a fast project.  I used the Tatum dress pattern from Sew Sweet Patterns.  I thought the flutter sleeves went well with the butterfly theme.  It took about 3 hours from cutting out the pattern to completion.  While I love my oliver+s patterns, and they do yield a beautiful product, there’s something very satisfying about a quick project, too.  The dress is fairly simple, but cute.  And simple is good for everyday wear anyway.

Baby girl refused to put it on, though, until I showed her that she could also wear leggings and converse with it.  (Not a girly-girl, I guess.  At least not this particular day.)

After we saw the butterflies, though, I pointed out to her that there were butterflies on her dress, and now she wants to wear it everyday.  Here’s one morning when she picked out the dress herself.  The white knee high socks over pink leggings were daddy’s fashion statement.


I thought it would make a cute Easter dress, so she wore it for an Easter party at a friend’s house.  Here she is contemplating the yard full of eggs.  Looks like she’s not sure what to make of them.
 
I thought the pattern was pretty easy to follow and the sizing was great.  I made a 2T and it fit baby girl really well (she's almost 2).  The only thing I wish they had was instructions for when to finish the edges, in case you wanted to do that.  In most places, I was able to serge the edges on my own, but the area under the arms has exposed edges, because it was too hard to get under there after the fact.  If I make this dress again, I’ll have to remember to serge the edges in the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that it is best to write more on this matter, it may not be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers.
    Bridesmaid Dresses

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading your comments, so feel free to say hello! :)