Labels

Friday, February 8, 2013

Big kid backpack


Back in August, I made the little guy a toddler backpack for kindergarten.  It wasn’t until after I made it that I realized it was too small for him.  In kindergarten, they need a backpack big enough to hold an 8.5x11 notebook and folder.  My little guy isn’t toddler-sized anymore.  *sniff*

I love this radios fabric, and thankfully, there was enough left over even after I had made the first backpack to make a second one.  Rae's toddler backpack pattern has instructions for making it for a big kid, so I didn't have to try to figure it out myself.  :)



I really love how it came out.  I love the piping.  I added medium interfacing to give it a little more structure.  I didn't quite have enough fabric to make the front panel one continuous piece, so it's actually two pieces that I tried to match up so it doesn't look like two pieces.  Can you tell where I pieced them together?

I didn't have enough fabric for the back panel, so I just used a plain twill.  I think it looks ok, though.  The straps are actually from an old pair of pants of mine.  Upcycling, woohoo!


The little guy seems to like it.  I know I won't always get to choose what kind of backpack he wears, so I'm glad I still can now.  :)


For comparison, here's the toddler backpack vs. the big kid backpack.

  

It is a little sad thinking of him as a big kid...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading your comments, so feel free to say hello! :)