Labels

Monday, May 16, 2011

Bias!


Before I started sewing, the only definition I knew of “bias” was a tendency or prejudice toward something.  But I just looked up the word on webster.com and did you know that’s not the first definition of bias?  The first definition is:
1 : a line diagonal to the grain of a fabric; especially : a line at a 45 degree angle to the selvage often utilized in the cutting of garments for smoother fit
 

Sewers apparently already knew that. 

This weekend’s sewing involved a lot of bias.  Bias tape, to be more specific.  That’s where you cut a bazillion strips of fabric on the bias (at a 45 degree angle) to make into binding for clothing and various other sewn products. 

It all started when I looked at the state of the baby girl’s bibs and realized that all of her bibs are hand me downs from her brother.  One of those bibs is even embroidered with her brother’s name.  Poor second child! 

So, a few weeks ago, when I was at Babies R Us, I decided I’d get a few new bibs for her.  But as I was studying their selection of bibs and contemplating paying $5-10 for one bib, I thought, I can make this!  (I-can-make-this-itis?  You’ve heard of it, right?  It’s a genetic disease, I think.  My mom had it, and now I apparently have been afflicted with it.) 

I got some laminated cotton fabric for the purpose of making some new bibs.  I traced off a bib that we already had and was ready to go, when I saw this tutorial on Craftiness is Not Optional.  It’s a bib; it’s an apron; no, it’s a bapron!  It looked so cool, and it looked like it was something the baby girl could not pull off, which is what she’s doing with all her bibs these days. 

I decided I’d make one of each (the bapron and the conventional bib I traced) to see which one I preferred.  But knowing that I’d eventually be making a lot of bibs, I spent some time just making yards of bias tape for the bibs.

So, here are the two bibs I made: 

The bapron:

It ties in the back.

She tried to pull it off, but she couldn’t.  *insert evil laugh here*  ;) 

Why I like this bib:  It was super easy to make.  I finished it in about an hour, while the baby girl was napping.  It stays on.  I like that it has a bit of a unique design. 

The regular bib:

I wanted to have a pocket on this bib to catch stray food, but I’m sure I over thought it a tad.  I thought the pocket needed to be a little cupped, so it would be open enough to catch food, and I wasn’t sure that a pocket that was exactly the size of the bib bottom would work, because it would just sit flat against the bib.  (I told you I over thought it.)  Anyway, I decided I’d make a gathered bottom for the pocket to achieve the "cupping" effect.
It was a little bit of a pain to do, but I’m kind of proud of the way it came out.  And it served its purpose perfectly.  After dinner, I found several peas and some half-chewed food in the pocket.  (Being a mom sure is glamorous, isn’t it?)

So, this bib was not as easy to make, because it had more curved edges, which made sewing on the bias tape a little more challenging.  A little ugly around the straps:


Plus, it has more parts to assemble: the pocket and the velcro.  But I do like the pocket, even though it’s more work.  She tried to pull this one off, too, and the velcro was strong enough to keep her from pulling it off, but then she’s still tugging at her neck.  (I could maybe add a pocket to the bapron, hmm...)

You thought I wouldn't have a picture of the baby girl testing it out?

So, I haven’t quite decided which bib I have a bias toward.  ;)  (Had to bring it full circle.)  I’ll probably end up making a few of each.  How’s that for indecisive?

4 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about how I shouldn't fear my (hand me down) sewing machine...I don't know that I'd ever attempt anything too fancy but for goodness sake, I should be able to at least do some straight seams and simple craft projects. I've been wanting to try knitting a purse but now I'm thinking...maybe one day instead, I'll sew one. I did notice that Simplicity patterns were 5 for $5 this week at JoAnne's....(like i need another addiction!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think both your bibs turned out great! How did you like sewing with the laminated cotton? I am totally checking out the 'bapron' tutorial, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @sarasewsSewing with the laminated cotton was not bad at all. I only had to rip out seams once, because I had twisted the bias tape. I got a teflon presser foot, so it would move more smoothly, but really, I only used it when I was attaching the pocket. I didn't need it at all for the bapron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to save money on bibs. Did a great job on doing it yourself, kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading your comments, so feel free to say hello! :)