Labels

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Major fail!

One of the most frequent comments I get about my sewing is, “I can’t believe you’re a beginning sewer!”  I think sewing is very forgiving, though.  You can make a number of mistakes and still end up with a good looking product. 

Well, most of the time. 

I’m posting this so you all know I don’t always end up with good looking results.  I thought this Leah tunic from Craftiness is not Optional was so cute.  I love the little cap sleeves.  So, I decided to do the sew-along that Jess posted.  Of course, that was a month ago.  I’ve had the top cut out for a while, just had not gotten around to sewing it up.  I finally had the time this weekend.  The hubs took the kids out to the park for a couple of hours, and it was just the time I needed to finish this top up. 

The cap sleeves didn’t turn out quite right, though.  A little too poofy and the armhole was a little too big.  I think maybe I needed to gather them more.

See the little pouf on the shoulders?  My husband says that she needs shoulder pads for her 80s style big shoulders.  (Don't you just love the peanut gallery?)

There are some things that I really like about this top, though.  I like the gathered shirt panels.  The gathering makes the top look so sweet and girly.  I also like the pockets.  I think they turned out really cute.

I might try to see if I can fix it, because I also really like the fabric.  It's a cotton voile, I think, that I got on clearance.  It's really light and airy, perfect for summer. 

This was another one where I had to make up the pattern.  I freehand drew the cap sleeves, and look where that got me.  I’m liking the predictability of patterns these days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading your comments, so feel free to say hello! :)